Location: Plum Island, New York
Position Title: Environmental Compliance Specialist, Principal P4040E
Date of Posting: August 15, 2023
Interprets, recommends, and complies with environmental, health and safety regulations and/or company policies. Assists in planning changes in physical facilities to meet new environmental requirements. Finds, evaluates, and prepares contracts for properly licensed hazardous waste disposal firms and monitors waste handling. Organizes and equips spill-control teams. Writes and updates environmental and spill-control manuals and procedures. Prepares environmental impact statements and applies for all new permits and renewals. Provides input to federal and state regulators through trade associations and industry groups for the writing and revision of regulations.
- Oversee the environmental processes and programs at the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC); works in collaboration with staff to ensure the maintenance, operations, and reporting requirements on all environmental systems at the PIADC are in accordance prescribed facility guidelines.
- Support the DHS Environmental Protection Offices in policy development and implementation.
- Supervise, coordinate, and provide technical oversight for challenge testing systems, repair and maintenance of critical equipment, filtration, and other decontamination systems and processes in accordance with manufacturer's and approved PIADC program requirements.
- Supervision and oversight of critical facilities maintenance and repair to include water and wastewater treatment systems and high containment decontamination facilities.
- Ability to understand and apply facility requirements, regulatory requirements, and facility design characteristics to compliance requirements.
- Develop, maintain, update, or amend as necessary the Facility SOPs to continually improve the safety, effectiveness, and efficiency of provided services.
- Participate in all applicable regulatory/oversight entity activities; prepare for the inspections and participate as necessary.
- Conduct routine inspections to ensure integrity of facility conditions to maintain a safe, secure, and healthy work environment, and to prevent release of pathogens.
- Compile all required environmental data and submit reports in accordance with prescribed schedules and standards.
- Ability to independently write technical reports and analyses relating to facility engineering, environmental, and regulatory documentation.
- Supervision and mentoring of technical and trades staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree required. May require Advanced Degree. 7-10 years of related work experience. Education may be used in lieu of experience. Proficient at applications within Microsoft Office 365. Experience with SharePoint Communication Sites. Must be a US Citizen and be eligible for PIADC.
This position is for Principal Level at $113k-$170k / year
Contact Patty Caufield email@example.com 631-323-3155