Senate Bill S7986A/Assembly Bill A10021A have passed the NYS Senate and Assembly and is awaiting signature from the governor. Here are some of the key provisions of the bill, which will also apply to Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors:
- During each triennial registration period, Professional Geologist and Professional Engineer applicants shall complete a minimum of 36 hours of acceptable continuing education and Land Surveyor applicants shall complete a minimum of 24 hours of continuing education.
- No more than six continuing education hours taken during one triennium may be transferred to a subsequent triennium.
- Licensed professionals shall be exempt from the mandatory continuing education requirement for the triennial registration period during which they are first registered.
- Professional Geologists directly employed on a full-time basis by the State of New York, its agencies, public authorities, public benefit corporations, or local governments prior to January 1, 2022 and who meet other criteria are deemed to have satisfied the continuing education requirements.
- Acceptable continuing education shall mean courses of learning and educational activities in architecture, engineering, interior design, land surveying, landscape architecture, and geology.
- The mandatory continuing education fee shall be $45 and is in addition to the triennial registration fee.
To ensure that this bill is signed, please contact the governor's office and let him know that you support this bill.
You can read the full text of the Assembly Bill here: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2019/a10021/amendment/a