TOBDEC is seeking an Environmental Analyst to join the Department. The position is civil service and the successful candidate would be hired “provisionally” and must pass the civil service exam for this title.
Civil Service Link: https://apps2.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice/specs/1241spe.html
An employee in this class performs scientific research and analyses on matters affecting the quality of the environment and participates in developing a program of environmental protection. The incumbent serves as a consultant to departments and agencies whose operations or decisions may have an impact on the environment. Responsibilities may include the supervision of personnel performing technical work in gathering data on environmental resources and monitoring various forms of pollution in the jurisdiction. Work is performed under general supervision and is reviewed by a professional or administrative supervisor through consultations, periodic conferences and written reports. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as a consultant to municipal departments and boards on the environmental impact of actions or decisions being considered;
- Participates in the planning of municipal parks, wildlife sanctuaries and greenbelts; Provides scientific information and recommendations for environmentally sound development;
- Advises departments and boards on how federal, state and county environmental legislation affects their operations;
- Drafts local legislation and resolutions concerning the environment, such as ordinances for noise control, tree preservation and waste disposal;
- Supervises and conducts investigations of violations of ordinances and regulations relating to environmental protection;
- Consults with other governmental agencies, public interest groups and educational institutions involved in the study and protection of the environment;
- May supervise technical personnel in the collection and analysis of data related to environmental impact studies, natural resource inventories or the monitoring of pollution in a town or local jurisdiction;
- Administer Babylon’s Flood Code ordinance and assist local Boards and the public with Floodplain Management;
- Administer the compliance program for the Town Solid Waste Management facilities. This includes Groundwater and Leachate Monitoring and preparation of semi-annual reports to regulatory authorities;
- Administer NEPA reviews for Town projects.
- Apply for and administer grants for environmental projects.
Graduation from a college with federally-authorized accreditation or registration by NY State with a Bachelor of Science Degree in mathematics, one of the natural or physical sciences, or a related field, plus two (2) years of experience in environmental protection activities.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Exemplary written, oral, organizational skills.
- Experience with Excel and ArcGIS is a plus.
- Valid driver’s license.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques of compiling, organizing and interpreting scientific data to determine the impact of alterations of the environment, thorough knowledge of the current principles, practices, methods and techniques utilized in the management and preservation of environmental resources; thorough knowledge of the federal, state and local laws and regulations relating to environmental protection; good knowledge of the natural and biological sciences as they relate to the analysis of environmental conditions; ability to prepare and present comprehensive reports on environmental quality and the impact of governmental actions and decisions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with public officials, professionals in the scientific community, representatives of community groups and the general public; ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
If interested contact Joe Guarino at firstname.lastname@example.org